• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused about ceramic heater and basking spot

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi folks

I'm pretty sure I've set my vivarium up incorrectly.

I have a ceramic heat light controlled by a habistat pulse proportional thermostat at the left hand side of the cage.
I was originally using the habistat to try and get the left side of the cage up to 100-105 F but I have since learnt that I need to use the habistat for making sure the cool end of the viv stays at 80-85 F.
So question 1: Do I make the end with the ceramic bulb the hot or the cool end ?

I was also using the ceramic bulb as a basking light ... I think I need to get a 100W regular bulb as a basking light and have the actual basking point the beardie sits on at around 100-105.
So question 2: Does the basking light go at the cool end or the warm end, I suspect the warm end.

And onto question 3: If I have the ceramic bulb at the cool end and the basking light at the warm end then how do I control the temp at the warm end ? I'll use the habistat to keep the cool end at the correct temp but do I just use the basking light to keep the ambient temp of the warm end up ?

I've read loads on beardies, some info contradictory but now I'm just unsure of the issues above I think.

Thanks

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, Fenton and welcome! Trust me, I know what you mean about the contradictory info out there. It's sad and unfortunate. Hopefully, our forum will help you get in the right direction.

Answer 1: Well, you really need to focus on temps and not bulbs, per say, so much. Your basking spot should be around 100 - 105F, like you pointed out. It should have a bulb to replicate the sun. Beardies like to climb to the basking spot too.

Answer 2: The basking light is on the hot side.

Answer 3: The basking light will produce enough heat to get the temps up to 100-105F. If they don't you need to increase your watt.

You don't need a habistat. Having the correct lighting and temps is all your bearded dragon needs to survive. You don't mention a UVB. What make and model uvb do you have?

Here's a link to lighting specs:
Bearded Dragon Lighting

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Renee, thanks for the reply.

I cannot remember the make of the UVB light, but I've just ordered a Arcadia D3 12% with a reflector.

From answer 1 you seem to be saying that I should be using a light bulb to provide basking temps.
What I have at the moment is a ceramic heat bulb generating about 105F at the basking rock. I have a digital temp probe at the basking spot and a probe at the opposite end for the cooler area.

The ceramic heat bulb is powered by the habistat. I put the probe for the habistat at the cooler end to make sure that is always the correct temp, the habistat heats the ceramic at the hot end and it works out well with both ends being the correct temps.

My main concern now is should I get a bright bulb for the basking area or will the ceramic suffice ? I could keep the ceramic as the cool end so the habistat will always make sure the cool end is OK, then have a 100W buld for the basking area. I'm unsure which is best.

Thanks for the link too :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you give a pic of the ceremic bulb? I'm thinking this must be a UK product. I'm assuming that it where you are located? Forgive me if I am wrong.

All I can find are heat emmitters. Which do not have light. You need light for the basking spot. If your ceremic bulb has light, it should be fine on the hot side.

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Here is the ceramic heater - http://www.gloversaquatics.co.uk/shop/product-details.cfm?product=2109&depID=112&manID=1&secID=4

Here's a pic of the viv, its at 36x18x18:
98xamg.jpg

The flat ended bulb like thing at the top left is the ceramic heat bulb. This is attached to a habistat pulse proportional gauge, the probe for the habistat is at the other end of the viv (the cool end) and is heating that end up correctly, and fortunately the warm end where the ceramic heater acutally is works out to be at the correct temp for the basking spot at the same time, maybe just a little low.

I would like advice on the best heating/basking arrangement to go for, or am I OK as it is ? I must admit that I get the impression that the BD is not as happy as he could be, I've only had him one week but he has yet to eat any veg and does occasionally go very dark, over the past week he's eat around 12 crickets and 5 small locusts (he's 9 inch, 3 months old) which is obviously too little.

Im open to any advice going.

Thanks again :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn't look like your ceramic heater has any light. You need light in your basking area.

Honestly, I would put aside all the habistat stuff. Here is an example of lighting that you need:

Hot Side:
Basking Light - can be a normal household lightbulb or a reptile light. Beardie should have a ramp or branch leading up to it, but not too close that he will burn himself. Basking area should be 100-110F for beardies under 1 year old.

Cool Side:
Heat Emitter if necessary. Cool side temp should be around 85F.

UVB - if possible, it should be the entire length of the viv. The ReptiSun 10.0 is the best UVB on the market. I don't believe it is sold in the UK. Here's a link to it:

ReptiSun 10.0

UVB bulb should be replaced every 6 months.

I think if you make these changes, he will come around. You've only had him for a little bit. So, he could be going through relocation stress.

Oh, how often has he pooped? You'll learn that pooping is something to get excited about.

I would hold off on the locusts for now. He's too young to digest them. Stick with crickets and salad. Make sure no food item is larger than the space between his eyes. Your veggies look too large.

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK I've unplugged the habistat and replaced the ceramic heater with a 50W Halogen spot bulb.
Temps got a little high (42C) so I have put in a 50W spot light (non halogen) and am monitoring temps.

I'm keeping my eye on the veggie sizes too ;)

I'll update when I have more info, thanks for your help so far Renee.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cool. Let us know if you see improvement with his appetite.

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He's seeming much happier these last couple of days. He's basking properly, much more alert and is very cool about being handled.

He's not eating as much as I'd like but he is eating more each day, yesterday he ate about 10 crickets.
We've had him 10 days and he's had 5 poops, do you think we should try giving him a bath ?

Thanks for your help again :)

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah you should soak him. I personally suggest soaking your beardie 3 times a week but many only do it 1 or 2 times a week (i see 2 as the minimum). Not only does this hydrate your beardie (as they absorb water via the vent) it also helps relax them and can help them pass larger stools.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I recommend a good soak daily for beardies under 6 months of age. Once they reach a year, you can tone it down to once or twice a day. The water should be as high as their shoulders. And should be the temp of baby bath water. It should not be hot to the touch. Use your wrist to judge it.

Fenton

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just a quick update to let you know that all seems do now be well with the beardie :)
Thanks for all the advice given, it's been a great help.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The arcadia is a great uvb ! Make sure that you get a good calcium and vitamin to go with that, and I think that Nutrobal is offered in the UK.

Janie.