• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about tail and size: could this be MBD? We

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
We have had Heihei since December 26. We are estimating her to be about 3-3.5 months old. She eats well and has definitely grown. We feed her Dubia roaches twice a day, dusted with calcium one of those feedings. She is in a 40 gallon breeder with a 10 HO T5 UVB light, a basking bulb and a CHE. Basking temps are 100-115 depending on how close she is on her basking hammock. The ambient temps are 80-90 (gradient) during the day and 68-75 at night. Substrate is tile and paper towels.
My concern is that I noticed a slight kink in her tail when we got her, and the more she grows, I see her tail is not straightening. She poops regularly, about 3 times a week. We also provide greens and veggies (usually different squashes) every day. The roaches are fed the same as Heihei. She is growing but still seems small compared to many pictures I see here. When we measured her and weighed her last, she was 6.75" (she does have a nipped tail) and 31 grams. Should I be concerned about her tail and size? Since she was about 3 weeks old when we got her, was she too young to have developed MBD? She walks fine. See pic below:
IMG_3096.JPG

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
HI - they are soooo precious at that size! it does not appear to be MBD to me - no other signs. I think it's a kink in the tail. love her colours

Kathy_D

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you! I didn't think it was but I just worry! She is such a sweetheart and we are all in love!! I can't imagine her all grown up but I know it will happen quicker than I think!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yeah, looks like a kink in the tail that could have happened when she was born. She is shorter than some dragons here, but you have to remember that she is missing her tail tip and you don't really know how much of her tail is missing. Should easily could be the same length as other dragons her age if she had the whole tail.