• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Class Pet Beardie... Not doing well, vet stumped! Advice?

Beth Campbell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All -

I have an adult Bearded Dragon in my classroom named Artichoke (Arti for short). I've had her since she was a baby, and for most of that time she has been doing wonderfully! A few months ago (first in Oct. 2017), there started to be times when we would find her on her back in her tank, unable to roll over. There were no other symptoms at the time. Since then, she has progressively gotten less mobile - at first, she was walking like an old man - like it took effort. Recently, she rarely holds her head up off the ground, and she hasn't had her belly off the ground in a while. When she moves now, she sort of drags herself, often unable to get her arms out from under her. When we put her down, we have to arrange her arms and legs - she doesn't put them into a natural position to support her weight. Her tail is flexible near the end, but it is stiff and not very mobile close to her body. It would be impossible to bend it up the way you would while sexing.

She was at the exotic vet today (a very experienced and highly-recommended vet), and he is very concerned. First they did a fecal exam, which was fine. Upon examining her vent, he said it "didn't look right" - I've never poked in there myself, nor have I seen inside a "normal" vent, so I can't offer more here. His next theory was kidney disease, so they did a blood test, and all of her levels came back normal, so her kidneys appear to be functioning well. He said her growth was great and there was no evidence of MBD. She pooped twice while we were there, so she isn't impacted, though she does tend to go for long periods of time between pooping. He really wasn't sure where to go from there. The two theories he floated were:

1. Cycling eggs, maybe gravid - does this make sense if she is 4 years old? She has never been around a male (I know they can still lay infertile eggs), and she has never laid eggs before. He did not feel any eggs, but I know that infertile eggs can be small. The thing is, everything I can find says that IF females are going to lay eggs, they start doing so at 10 months-1year.

2. Spinal infection - he said this doesn't seem to fit because usually this starts near the end of the tail at an injury and works its way toward the body. The stiffness in her tail is the opposite, and she has never had an injury.

Here's the thing - I spent $180 today for the exam, blood work, and fecal. His recommended next step, to try to identify either eggs or an infection, is an X-Ray, for another $90. If it is eggs, he recommends spaying her, since she obviously doesn't respond well to cycling. If it is a spinal infection, then he recommends antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds, but said that if a spinal infection is causing her difficulty in movement, then the nerve damage is done and she would not regain mobility.

I love her and my students adore her, but as a teacher and mom of three, I can't spend hundreds of dollars on exploratory procedures that might not be appropriate, might not work, and might not regain quality of life.

Can anyone think of anything we might be missing? Or have any other suggestions?

Husbandry details:
She eats live Dubia roaches (dusted in calcium), occasionally kale and butternut squash (she doesn't usually bother eating them, it's not that I don't offer), freeze-dried mealworms (she LOVES these), and occasionally bearded dragon food pellets (I leave them in her tank on weekends). As she has lost mobility, it has been more difficult for her to catch the roaches, and she won't eat them unless they are alive.
She is in a 40 gallon tank with Zoo Med lighting - UVA and UVB mercury bulb on during the day, ceramic heater on at night. Her basking temp is 110, and the cool end of her tank is 85. She is taken out of her tank to be held or walk around the classroom about twice per day. Lately, she does not do much walking.
She is on vinyl flooring in her tank, with a large water dish and rocks for climbing.
When she is warm, she is a peachy-tan color with a white belly, and when she is cold, she is a mossy brown color with a gray and white "tiled" pattern on her belly.
Vet was impressed with her size (23" long) and said her food and lighting have had to be right throughout her life based on her healthy growth. Again, good calcium levels and no evidence of MBD

I know this post is long, but I wanted to provide all of the details I could. Thanks for taking the time to read it! I appreciate any advice or suggestions!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its so hard when we don't know what to do. I recently had a similar conversation about my little boy (who recently passed and whom I miss very much) - we have been given these little creatures to care for and cherish. your concern about finances is a common thread. how much is enough? when is it too much? no one can answer that for you. there is no right or wrong answer. you have your own human kids to consider also. you may need to make a sad choice. personally - I probably would not go any further with the vet. maybe give her a few days to see if there is any improvement. if not - consider her quality of life and how much pain or discomfort she may be in. Wishing you the best ---- sorry

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know. It does sound like MBD, not being able to stand, etc. I would do the X-ray because the X-ray will show the bones and how calcified they are. My big girl looked healthy like an ox, we took an X-ray of her and she has a very mild start of MBD. The other thought that came to my mind is ADV.

I wonder, since it's a classroom pet and the kids love him, if you could do some sort of fundraiser to help with the vet costs?

Wookie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with Patsy, the X rays could be helpful. Does she have a tube UVB running the length of her tank in addition to her basking bulb?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with Patsy, the X rays could be helpful. Does she have a tube UVB running the length of her tank in addition to her basking bulb?

Hey Wookie ❤ , she said she is using an MVB bulb.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would do the xrays as those could tell her story.. if those are clear I would see how things go..and determine quality vs quantity

Beth Campbell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't heard of ADV before. The vet said kidney and liver function looked good based on the fecal and blood work. Her calcium levels were good, too, which I thought made MBD less likely, but the vet explained that there can be a difference between total calcium and available, or metabolized calcium. Good to know that the x-ray would show that, too. I guess if it can answer questions about three different possibilities, than it is even more worthwhile. I appreciate your input.

Beth Campbell

Bearded Dragon Egg

I have used a tube bulb, but switched back to the MVB, because the combo of the tube and ceramic heater weren't enough to keep the temps where they needed to be. Do you recommend all 3 - MVB for heat and UVA/UVB, Tube for more widespread UVA/UVB, and ceramic heater for night?

Beth Campbell

Bearded Dragon Egg
I wonder, since it's a classroom pet and the kids love him, if you could do some sort of fundraiser to help with the vet costs?[/QUOTE]

My kids did suggest that - I just don't think it is feasible. I teach at a small alternative school. I only have 28 kids, and 90% of our school qualifies for free or reduced-price lunches - very poor kids. The two vets that could perform a spay if that is what she needs quoted me $750 - $1000 for the surgery. :( I think we can make the x-rays work, though. I just didn't want to add that cost if it wasn't going to get us anywhere actionable. With the advice here, though, sounds like it might be worth at least taking that step. Thank you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Most of us use the tube style UVB for more UVB coverage throughout the tank, offering places for them to hide from the light. Reptisun 10.0 T5 bulbs can be put on top of the tank where the T8 bulb should be mounted inside.

Wookie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have used a tube bulb, but switched back to the MVB, because the combo of the tube and ceramic heater weren't enough to keep the temps where they needed to be. Do you recommend all 3 - MVB for heat and UVA/UVB, Tube for more widespread UVA/UVB, and ceramic heater for night?
I personally use a tube uvb and a standard household spot bulb for the basking heat. It's a cheaper way of providing the daytime basking spot which mimics the sun. If you can try a combination it may really help her. I'm not trying to dismiss your vet because they have been to school and I haven't but it really does sound like MBD. The tube lights with d3 will help her synthesise calcium so if she is producing eggs she won't use calcium from her bones. The spot bulb will give her the basking spot with the temps to digest her food and the ceramic heat emitter will keep her warm at night. I really hope she can pull through this ❤