• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bugs other than Dubias?

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
hello everyone. So this summer I am planning on buying a bearded dragon this summer from a breader. I am totally okay with feeding it bugs and everything. However, my mother told me that if I bring a roach into the house she is kicking the dragon out......she is fine with other bugs she just doesn't like the idea of if the roaches escape they will breed and we have a ton of roaches in the house. the dragon I am going to get most likely is going to be a baby. I already have a box turtle and an anole so I will have a supply of superworms, night crawlers, and small crickets available to me. Are there other bugs that are recommended, or do you all know of ways I can hide a colony of dubias?
Please help a newbie out! (Also how much does a baby eat a day? I am doing a ton of research before I get the little one.)

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Trust me friend, I'm feeling your pain in a big way about the dubias. My mother will absolutely not allow them in the house under any circumstances. From what I've heard, they can't actually survive and breed in your house if they get out. Its not the right environment for them to thrive. But moms don't care. a roach is a roach to them. haha.
Every now and then, ill buy some dubias from a shop down the street and pour them into my beardies cage while my mom is not home and she eats them all before my mom comes back. I cant really imagine being able to hide a colony of bugs. But mostly I stick with crickets (definitely gut loaded), super worms, hornworms, and sometimes ill feed her other worms that are less nutritious as more of a "treat." You can certainly have a beardie without feeding it dubias. They're better than crickets but not an absolute necessity.

As far as babies diet goes, be prepared for your little one to eat A TON. I believe it is common practice to sit with them for 10-15 minutes and keep giving bugs to them until they either stop eating them, or the 10-15 minutes is up. And thats done two or three times a day, every day. When they get older, they need more veggies and less bugs, so that won't go on forever. But when they are little, you really wouldn't believe how much they eat until you see it.

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
Trust me friend, I'm feeling your pain in a big way about the dubias. My mother will absolutely not allow them in the house under any circumstances. From what I've heard, they can't actually survive and breed in your house if they get out. Its not the right environment for them to thrive. But moms don't care. a roach is a roach to them. haha.
Every now and then, ill buy some dubias from a shop down the street and pour them into my beardies cage while my mom is not home and she eats them all before my mom comes back. I cant really imagine being able to hide a colony of bugs. But mostly I stick with crickets (definitely gut loaded), super worms, hornworms, and sometimes ill feed her other worms that are less nutritious as more of a "treat." You can certainly have a beardie without feeding it dubias. They're better than crickets but not an absolute necessity.

As far as babies diet goes, be prepared for your little one to eat A TON. I believe it is common practice to sit with them for 10-15 minutes and keep giving bugs to them until they either stop eating them, or the 10-15 minutes is up. And thats done two or three times a day, every day. When they get older, they need more veggies and less bugs, so that won't go on forever. But when they are little, you really wouldn't believe how much they eat until you see it.
I know! A roach is a roach no matter what to them! Lol
I have read that the babies eat a ton!!! I don't think I am mentally prepared! My box turtle eats once like every other day so to think twice a day is so much but it will be fun. I wanted to get an older dragon, but I really want a white bearded dragon and can only get hatchlings :/
Hopefully I get a job at a pet shop so I can have a constant supply of crickets haha

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was totally against dubia too in the beginning and then about 6 months ago I went to a show and really looked at dubia and they look more like water bugs than roaches. So I've managed to convince myself that they aren't really roaches LOL!

Silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, supers are all good feeders.

Mireha

Hatchling Dragon
I was totally against dubia too in the beginning and then about 6 months ago I went to a show and really looked at dubia and they look more like water bugs than roaches. So I've managed to convince myself that they aren't really roaches LOL!

Silkworms, hornworms, BSFL, supers are all good feeders.
If it was up to me I would totally do dubias lol but my mother is like hell no...... I might end up breeding superworms so I can have some in all sizes.