• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bringing a bearded dragon on holiday ?

monst3rs

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi there, so I'm new here so hello to everyone, I am a uni student and looking to get my first pet, a bearded dragon got my attention, so I'm doing my research so i know what I'm getting and what i will be in for.. it all looks fine i can get it everything it needs but being a uni student i go back on holidays and will want him with me, trouble is, i live in france, i called up the ferry, they are allowed but need to stay in the car, is that possible ? the ferry is overnight so he will be alone all that time, how can i do this ? also when it gets to France, we have a 2-gallon aqarium, not big enough at all, but would this be ok for a couple of weeks? knowing i will bring him out a lot and just chill with him ?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmm - good for you for doing research! a 2 gallon tank is NOT big enough. he needs to have AT LEAST room to stretch out and turn around. and then theres heating. you absolutely MUST have heat for him to digest his food and stay healthy. traveling can also be stressful. not good. overnight on the ferry? alone is ok. might get cold. will you be able to get insects for him inn France? or - can you take what you have with you? Take a look at the links below for some additional information on beardie care - ask if you have questions.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A 2 gallon tank isn't big enough for even a baby dragon. They need to be able to have a temperature gradient in their tank, you can't even get that in a 20 gallon tank. I assume Uni means University? You need to do research, I know here in the states, you can't have any pets other than may a fish in your room. I think the car would be too cold over night for it. Bearded dragons are very sensitive to change, even changing their tank can stress them out. I think that the going back and forth would not be good for it's health.

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Please, please, get him into, at the very least a 40 gal tank, with his basking spot at 102-107F, and the other side of his tank should be at 80-85F. You'll have a healthy & happy beardie, and yes, they're awesome creatures, I've got 8 (not by choice, lol). Hope all goes well for you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk