• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie with a toe problem!

BaynetheBeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
A few weeks ago, I noticed that one of my beardie's toes (her 'thumb', if you will) was swollen. It caused her no discomfort at all and other than the swelling, seemed okay, so I've just been keeping an eye on it.

Tonight, however, I noticed that the nail on that toe is now dark (she has clear nails). Under the toe, it looks as if it has been bleeding slightly. Plus, the skin on the underside of her toe now looks smooth and shiny, instead of scaley, and yellowish. She's still running and climbing like normal, but does pull away when I try to inspect her toe too closely, so I assume it's causing her some discomfort now.

I know shedding can cause issues on the toes, so I know that's a possibility. I'll be in touch with my vet tomorrow and take her in if necessary, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has seen this before or has any suggestions for me.

Extra info: She gets bathed 3+ times weekly and is finishing a full body shed now. She has a good diet, proper lighting, and temps. She currently has reptile carpet in her tank, after just having laid an infertile clutch last month in sand.

Top of her foot, swollen toe on the left. (Don't mind the fuzz stuck to her other nail :p)
IMG_2126.JPG

Underside of her foot/toe. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the skin under the nail almost looks like it's pulled away from her toe, and that's where the blood is. I think the darkness in her nail may be coming from blood in the quick. It also looks like there may be a small patch of the smooth, yellowish skin on the far side of her foot, though it's not as severe as her toe.
IMG_2130.JPG

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Looks like she snagged it on something. As long as she's not in any pain it will be fine. It's going to take a few sheds for it to look better.

Both Dexter and Luci did that when they were small. Dexter was climbing the couch. It looked like the nail broke through the bottom of her foot. I cleaned it right away with diluted Betadine and kept an eye on it.

These guys are always going to do something to their nails. I can't tell you how many Luci has lost without me even realizing it until I saw it growing back in.