• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Hates Me

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,
I am incredibly new to both bearded dragons and messageboard-style websites, so forgive me if this isn't posted in the right place.

Anyway, I got my first bearded dragon about a week and a half ago, and Sunday was his first bath time. When I went to put him in the bath tub (a 10 gallon aquarium, warm water no higher than his joints), he freaked out and tried climbing out. Now, whenever he sees me, he puffed his beard out, and turns black. Are there any suggestions on how to make it so he doesn't find me so aversive?
He's about 5 or so and I'm his second owner.

I'd appreciate any help.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
I am incredibly new to both bearded dragons and messageboard-style websites, so forgive me if this isn't posted in the right place.

Anyway, I got my first bearded dragon about a week and a half ago, and Sunday was his first bath time. When I went to put him in the bath tub (a 10 gallon aquarium, warm water no higher than his joints), he freaked out and tried climbing out. Now, whenever he sees me, he puffed his beard out, and turns black. Are there any suggestions on how to make it so he doesn't find me so aversive?
He's about 5 or so and I'm his second owner.

I'd appreciate any help.
Welcome to the forum and to beardies!! I'd like to let you know that we have put together a ton of information and you will find it in the links below several of our comments.. Food, heat, UVB, supplements, and lots more..
I'm sure you just need to give him some time to get settled in his new home with you.. we call it relocation stress.. What does his tank look like? do you have enough hides, places for him to explore, have you tried covering 3 sides of the tank to help him feel safe?
Do you know how he was with the previous owner? Could be that he wasn't handled much? You need to go slow and gain his trust. Make sure you go slow with him when you try to go close to him.. Talk to him, make sure when you go to pick him up it's from in front of him..He needs to know that you are good.
Typically the puffed beard and black bearding is for show as we are giants to them..so really just take things slowly once you get his trust that will be a great bond. And remember take a look at the links below this.....

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi. He doesn't hate you. Really. Might be a bit scared, tho. It generally takes them a couple of weeks to get used to new surroundings. Different beardies react differently and take different times. I have a new little boy - got him about 6 weeks ago. He's still "bearding" me. Not all the time. Less and less. But it is taking a while. I would suggest just kind of letting him "hang" for a while. Don't even try to take him out of his tan - just rub under his beard. Water freaks some of them out. My current boy is less freaked now than a month ago. my female tolerates her baths. my last male would stick his head under the water and pretend he was a snake. It would be helpful, too, to see some photos of your set up and some info on what your temps are. pictures speak a thousand words. you WILL get through this !

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to take things slow, and let him ease in a little more before taking him out again. His tank is a 75 gallon, and day time temps are 110 F on one side and about 80 F on the other. He only has one hide so far, but next paycheck I can go out and get more.
d4aea47438b2c5a44664cab7caa017db.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the picture.. I have suggestions on set up. Red or any other colored bulbs shouldn't be used as they don't allow the pupils to react normally and can cause eye damage.. A regular basking bulb should be used and then a tube style UVB like Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 being what most of us use.. You overlap them alittle as they need the heat and the UVB to digest and absorb nutrients properly.. This might be affecting his behavior especially if on at night, as it doens't allow them to really sleep they are constantly on guard.
Your daytime temps are way high if he's 5 years old Adult temps would be Adults Basking 90-95F can also be low 100'sF warm 80-90F cool 70F
So that may be affecting his behavior as well.. What are you using to measure temps?

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
It wasn't on at night, I have a ceramic heater that heats him at night when necessary (I live in Michigan and the temps fluctuate daily). I will be sure to change out the red light for the one you suggested. I use two thermometers to measure his temp. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It wasn't on at night, I have a ceramic heater that heats him at night when necessary (I live in Michigan and the temps fluctuate daily). I will be sure to change out the red light for the one you suggested. I use two thermometers to measure his temp. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Yep I hear you on temps Im in WI so I understand temps.. as long as it doesn't get below 65F at night they are good they need the cool down..
So yes just get a basking bulb for the heat and the reptisun T5 (these uvb rays penetrate the mesh tops T8's do not) Petmountain.com is where I get mine they have the hood with a bulb (it comes with a T5 5.0) so make sure you buy a 10.0 bulb as well, if you go with them just hang on to the 5.0 for emergency use..
Thermometer do you use a IR temp gun or the ones stuck to the tank side? the ones that stick to the sides only measure the glass you want an accurate reading as a few degrees really do make a difference in their activity, digestion and mood

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Understood. Is there a particular thermometer you suggest?

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also, it says it's a T5 HO. Is there a difference between that and the 5.0?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Understood. Is there a particular thermometer you suggest?

Digital Probe Thermometer
IR Temp Gun
Here are a few more links for temp sensors
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/zoo-med-digital-thermometer
http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Mini-Infrared-Thermometer-IRT3/205519139
http://www.sears.com/innova-3370-micro-therm-laser-key-chain-thermometer/p-00934159000P

I see your using taptalk so the links below don't show up so in this link it gives all the info and links that you can use..
http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/threads/general-info-set-up-1st-timers.13863/

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Also, it says it's a T5 HO. Is there a difference between that and the 5.0?

lol here's the difference
Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 T5 UVB penetrates better than T8 10. vs 5.0 is the strength of the rays you want the 10.0

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay, so I know I'm kinda dense here, but if I have a T5 HO it's the wrong hood? Or it's the right hood and I need a different bulb? Again, sorry for the confusion.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, so I know I'm kinda dense here, but if I have a T5 HO it's the wrong hood? Or it's the right hood and I need a different bulb? Again, sorry for the confusion.

So what UVB do you have?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The T5 HO, I think. Here's a picture of the label I found on it.
7d759ecaa3e472ea22cf18e823375235.jpg

Perfect!! Make sure you are using the 10.0 bulb not the 5.0. Save the 5.0 for emergencies like if your 10.0 bulb gets busted or something..

Jpappas

Bearded Dragon Egg
Awesome. Been meaning to buy new bulb for it anyway. Don't know when the previous owner last changed it. So, buy a 10.0 bulb to be safe, a non-colored basking lamp and a digital thermometer? Thanks again

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep!! 10.0 bulbs get changed 1 time a year so write a date somewhere so you know when you start using it.. if it gets bumped alot it may not last as long..
Yes Non-colored basking bulb you can use that fixture just check the watts allowed on it.. most of us use those fixtures.
yes on the digital thermometer

Great job and keep the pictures coming we love them!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You've been given great advise. Sorry if I missed it somewhere but red lights shouldn't even be used during the day. The colored lights hurt their eyes and doesn't let their pupils contract properly and can lead to their retinas getting burned.