• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon dehydration+brumation? = HELP!

Ravenbrand

Bearded Dragon Egg
In December/January my bearded dragon was healthy, and began to get very lethargic, stopped eating his greens already months before, which was very unusual. Then he began sleeping alot. I assume it is brumation, did some searches to see how I could keep him healthy while brumating and saw I didn't have to do much. I checked on him everyday, and sometime in February i realized he had sunken eyes and was very weak, and immediately took him to the vet. They kept him at the vet, confirmed he was dehydrated, and gave him an injection to rehydrate him and began to force feed him. He had 3 poop tests and had no parasites, and was not anorexic. I went and picked him up after a week, and the doc showed me how to force feed him with a syringe so he can get his nutrients and things because he refuses to eat, assuming because of brumation. He's going on 4 years old, and this is his first time showing any signs of illness, and this is his first time I have dealt with him being lethargic or even doing anything like brumating. I brought him home, and while he was still lethargic, I was able to force feed him for a week straight without serious problems. Now there's a problem. He has started to sleep 24/7 and will occasionally move, but never fully stays awake. it is borderline impossible to force feed him because he won't open his eyes, or cooperate, or anything. He moves in his own time, and even then he is still practically sleeping still. If he does not eat, he will only get more sick. I can't feed him while he is sleeping, as I would be forcing food down his throat while he isn't responding, also he won't open his mouth unless i pry it open. When soaking him in this state, he barely will wake up if at all, and rarely will drink the water. He still poops well as well. I DON'T know what to do. I honestly never dealt with brumation and don't even know if that's what he's going through. All I know is he sleeps 24/7, and thus I cannot force feed him, and If I can't force feed him, he will only get sicker. It's driving me insane. I will call the vet when they're only tomorrow, but until then I need some advice.

His temps are around 95F on the hot side, and decreases to about 80-85F on the coolside, and he has a box to hide in.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Did the vet do a blood test? Beardies shouldn't lose a lot of weight during brumation and since his fecal's came back negative there has to be another reason for him to be losing the weight and becoming dehydrated.

I don't have a problem with trying to stop brumation, if there is something else going on with the dragon that needs daily attention. My 4 year old girl was having issues with her mouth, where I was treating her mouth everyday. One day she decided that she wanted to brumate and her mouth was doing better so I let her. A week later I checked on her and she was thinner and her fat pads were smaller so I decided to wake her up and take her hide out. I replaced her UVB light and bumped her temps up to closer to 100 degrees. She's been happy, fine and active ever since.

Ravenbrand

Bearded Dragon Egg
The vet did not do a blood test to my knowledge. He's not really losing weight, but he does have sunken eyes and looks a bit abnormal. I wish I could wake him up so I could care for him. It's impossible to get him to do anything with me. Pick him up, he's sleep. put him in water, he's sleep. take his hide out, he's sleep. Pry his mouth open and he won't even wake up or react to you but might snap his mouth shut. He only moves when he wants to. I don't know if this is even brumation. I can't help him if he doesn't respond.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm sorry this is happening. I would have the vet look at him again and maybe do a blood test. All of mine, even when in brummation will wake up when I wake them up. They've never slept so hard where they don't respond to me once I take them out.

Ravenbrand

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm sorry this is happening. I would have the vet look at him again and maybe do a blood test. All of mine, even when in brummation will wake up when I wake them up. They've never slept so hard where they don't respond to me once I take them out.
Well I took him to the vet today, and he was losing weight fast, and he was anemic, had low blood sugar, low red blood cells, low iron, etc. He was indeed sick. They took him into ICU, and we left. I got the call 3 hours ago that he has passed away.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
soooo very sorry. this is a worry for all of us when we aren't sure if they're going into brumation. We do understand your loss - these little guys just grab our hearts

Last edited:

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
as i said above - we all worry when our babies show signs of brumation. i thought my boy was going into brumation - less activity, decreased appetite, sleeping more. when i got home last night his beard was black and his eyes looked terrible. he died sometime after that during the night. i'm sad. we can only do what we can do.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
as i said above - we all worry when our babies show signs of brumation. i thought my boy was going into brumation - less activity, decreased appetite, sleeping more. when i got home last night his beard was black and his eyes looked terrible. he died sometime after that during the night. i'm sad. we can only do what we can do.
OMG I'm sorry to hear this :( so hard to loose our babies.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I took him to the vet today, and he was losing weight fast, and he was anemic, had low blood sugar, low red blood cells, low iron, etc. He was indeed sick. They took him into ICU, and we left. I got the call 3 hours ago that he has passed away.
Oh I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

N4T4LIE

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm so sorry to read about your loss. I have a very healthy boy but recently had a female given me. She is extremely exact to your concerns above. I've gutted the viv as it was in a disgusting state☹️. Bathed her. She's so very weak. I can't even get her mouth open to force feed. Slept while bathed too. I keep dropping water from a syringe on her nose and leaving slurry right on the tip but when she vaguely moves it drops. Scared for the little girl. Had her only 48 hours so far. Doing my best.