• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon been off lately

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
Brought my beardie to vet a few months and had pin worms and was prescribed medication to treat them, and we gave him as prescribed. But since that visit hes been off, not eating as much, been lazy and laying around alot. Tempurature is normal. Please feel free to comment.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mines been more sluggish since treating pinworms with panacur. Appetite not nearly as big. But I believe that they are naturally "lazy" creatures that like to sit around and bask all day. Kinda like a gator.
I feel like maybe when they have pinworms, they aren't getting proper nutrition and so they feel the need to run around and find food because they have an endless appetite. No clue if thats really true, but after the pinworm treatment, my beardie is displaying behavior much closer to what other people say is normal for theirs. Which is a decline from what she used to be like.

What medication did your vet give you? How long ago did you finish giving the meds? How old is your beardie? How much and what is he eating?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Parasites sap the nutrition from the food the beardies eat. That's why before treatment they eat all they can find because they aren't getting it, the parasite is. When you kill the parasite, there's nothing they are sharing their food with so they fill up faster and hence, eat less.

Michael persky

Hatchling Dragon
We took him to vet in december, she prescribed him panacur, three syringes 1 a week. He's just over a year old. He hasn't really eaten since then, we basically forced him to eat crickets and superworms, hasnt eaten veggies, which he use to eat before, now he just closes his eyes at them. Even the superworms which he used to dive for. He does drink water from a syringe so he shouldn't be dehydrated. Has onlyed 2 twice in all this time but looked normal.

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I very well could be), but i believe panacur has virtually no side effects when administered in safe doses. If your beardie doesn't look dehydrated or like he's losing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. If he's losing weight, then yeah, you might have to take action.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've heard both about Panacur. I've heard people say their bearded dragons took it and they stopped eating. I gave it to Dolly and she didn't really want to eat while she was on it and it took her some time to want to eat again. I have given it to my frogs in very tiny doses and never had any side affects.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Make sure you give probiotics after medications and include it in your suppletment routine...Medications rid their gut of good flora so you need to replenish them.