• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basic tropical terrarium background build

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Hey y'all, thought I would share my terrarium backgrounds! It's SO EASY, just takes some patience and my crestie loves it! Highly recommend for cresties, frogs, etc. I plan on building a large one incorporating a water feature but wanted to home my skills first!
20170326_213944.jpg
20170326_214018.jpg
20170629_181933.jpg
20170629_181334.jpg

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
2 terrariums, but same process. The smaller tank is just a little greenhouse- it is only 12"x12"x18" so I went with simple so it didn't get overcrowded. I wasn't planning on making a background for it at all, but within 1 hour of owning it I dropped it and cracked the back glass completely - so the background stabilizes it.
20170624_190755.jpg
20170624_201400.jpg
20170625_184933.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's beautiful! The only thing I would have done was used an AGB soil mix because coco fiber drys out fast and doesn't offer any nutrients for the plants. You can buy AGB pre mixed or you can mix up your own recipe. Where did you get your plants from? I'm jealous of your pothos(?) I put one in my crestie tank thinking it would grow fast and I could run it around the top of her tank but it got mold and died. The second one I put in is doing a little better but it's been a slow process.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks! Yeah, the pothos is doing pretty well. My crestie doesn't seem to dig, so that helps! I randomly pick up plants - grocery stores, hardware stores, botanical gardens, public parks.... I may have a problem hahaha. The substrate is actually organic peat moss and spagnum moss based soil, mixed with a bit of charcoal. I put the cocofiber on top because I have seen Rex attacking the ground occasionally and I feel the coco is easier for him to pass.

The next stage is making some natural looking magnetic planters so I can have plants hanging from the glass walls - that way I can easily move / remove / maintain them and clean the tank. I'm going to coat the plastic planters in the same style as the background and just glue on some magnets. Should be awesome! And I think Rex will really dig it. :)

Attachments

• 20170326_214333.jpg
    20170326_214333.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5