• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Backwater reptiles - How much should I be worrying?

td103

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ive already made the mistake of ordering from this company, and believe me I'm terrified. This wasnt the first company i looked at, however it was the first one i found with red bearded dragons for sale after browsing through many websites and i figured this would be one of the only ones i would find and went for it. Im just now, after having my bearded dragon for 3 days, figuring out how awful this company is...really kicking myself for this one.
However, my bearded dragon, about 8 weeks, seems to be doing okay, and im just wondering how scared i should be these next couple weeks.
I got exactly what i ordered, a red bearded dragon baby. He's still finicky with eating after traveling so far, the first day i had him he ate about 20 crickets (1/4 inch), and yesterday maybe 10. Ive given him water with the dropper and plan for a bath today, and he's got kale in his tank if he needs it, but has taken no greens so far. He basks for most hours of the day, unless he sees his reflection then he'll glass surf for a few minutes (maybe 10-15 max), get bored, and go back to what he was doing. He's had one bowel movement each day so far, looks healthy (bright eyes, all his fingers and toes, responds quickly to sound), and overall he's active. He's also finishing up a shed on his tail. Last night he went to sleep on his own around 9, i woke him up around 8 this morning.
A little slow to wake this morning, im hoping i can get him to eat before i leave for work at 11 but ill be back at 2 if he doesnt.
Basking side around 110, i have not bought a thermometer for the cool side but i switch it over in the middle of the day, usually around 85. UV 10, and most sides of the glass are decorated to keep him from getting too stressed.
Again im really kicking myself for not reading reviews, and its so not like me. It never occurred to me that reptile trade could be this shady, but im hoping that my lil dude will make it through and i can give him the best home possible :/

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey td103 - it can take them sometimes a week or 2 to adjust. some are faster than others. he sounds ok so far. take a breath and just let him be for a bit. they're pretty resilient little dudes. have you had beardies before? babies typically don't eat lots of greens - you can offer them daily, but don't expect him to gorge himself - it takes time for them to learn. (and, truth be told, some of them never develop an affinity for greens) kale is something which should be offered only occasionally - there are other choices for greens which would be better. mustard greens, arugula, beet greens - check out the links below for some super info put together by a few of our members - good stuff! I would recommend that you try feeding bugs 2 or 3 times a day - as many as he can eat in 15 minutes or so. better for the babes to be fed frequently. If you have any questions, pop back on here !! Keep us posted - we really do care. And - we love pictures :)

td103

Bearded Dragon Egg
hey td103 - it can take them sometimes a week or 2 to adjust. some are faster than others. he sounds ok so far. take a breath and just let him be for a bit. they're pretty resilient little dudes. have you had beardies before? babies typically don't eat lots of greens - you can offer them daily, but don't expect him to gorge himself - it takes time for them to learn. (and, truth be told, some of them never develop an affinity for greens) kale is something which should be offered only occasionally - there are other choices for greens which would be better. mustard greens, arugula, beet greens - check out the links below for some super info put together by a few of our members - good stuff! I would recommend that you try feeding bugs 2 or 3 times a day - as many as he can eat in 15 minutes or so. better for the babes to be fed frequently. If you have any questions, pop back on here !! Keep us posted - we really do care. And - we love pictures :)
This is my first one, ill try and get pictures on my laptop if i find time! I offer bugs at least 2 times a day, 3 if im home longer. Do they have issues being fed outside the tank? I find it easier and that way theres no stray crickets after feeding, i place him in a larger bin with crickets he takes a few then tries to jump out or looks around. Ill change the kale out if he actually starts to show interest, i just have so much of it right now and its cheap. Thanks for the help!

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Its actually recommended to feed outside of the tank for that exact reason, don't want bugs to find hiding places. So keep it up. Sounds like youre doing good!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Don't stress about it too much. Just enjoy him and keep an eye on him and he will probably be just fine. I bought 2 pet store dragons after knowing how bad it could be and now I have a 4 1/2 and a 3 1/2 year old, neither had issues due to where they came from.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with the above, more than likely your little one is just fine as can be and will do great. Once all settled and doing good I would suggest getting him vetted to make sure he has no parasites..
In the links below several of our comments you'll find a ton of info that we've put together to help out.. it has great food links that we most go off of.
Like Patsy both of mine came from petstores and they are both very healthy, never had any issues.