• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Awesome DIY build

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
yeah a dimmer will work fine with basking light, not the tube though
Dimmer is working great! Thank you! Now I'm just trying to adjust to get the right temps. It's perfect because as our dragon becomes an adult I can easily adjust the temp with the dimmer. I don't know that I could accomplish that without it!

I'm ordering dubias and worms monday, gotta get a tank for the dubias....you think just a rubber made container with a modified lid will do?

11 more days until we can get our new dragon!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

andrewed1

Bearded Dragon Egg
you think just a rubber made container with a modified lid will do?
Yes that will be plenty. Add some egg cartons and some fruit and veg for moisture. Keep the temp at around 30dc amd they will start to breed for you.. (takea a little time for them to start)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Yes that will be plenty. Add some egg cartons and some fruit and veg for moisture. Keep the temp at around 30dc amd they will start to breed for you.. (takea a little time for them to start)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
How much ventilation do I need on the top? Full screen top or can I just drill a bunch of holes?

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I just drilled holes in mine. Are you going to start a colony or just buy as needed? I thought about a colony as I have 2 very hungry mouths to feed, but I wouldnt know what to do with all the spare adults that are too big to eat, just seems like too much hard work and I am waaay too lazy. I like having them delivered next day and believe me, they dont get too comfortable in that box for long (chomp!). Then I can just give the box a good clean and put the next lot in there.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I just drilled holes in mine. Are you going to start a colony or just buy as needed? I thought about a colony as I have 2 very hungry mouths to feed, but I wouldnt know what to do with all the spare adults that are too big to eat, just seems like too much hard work and I am waaay too lazy. I like having them delivered next day and believe me, they dont get too comfortable in that box for long (chomp!). Then I can just give the box a good clean and put the next lot in there.
No colony for now. Got my roaches in. I pit them in a rubber maid container that I drilled a bunch of small holes in. Checked on them last night and they look pretty happy. I have eggs crates for them to crawl on and fed them zuchinni chunks, roach chow and water crystals

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
No colony for now. Got my roaches in. I pit them in a rubber maid container that I drilled a bunch of small holes in. Checked on them last night and they look pretty happy. I have eggs crates for them to crawl on and fed them zuchinni chunks, roach chow and water crystals

Just started a colony about a few weeks ago so far I have about 100 tiny Nymphs just hanging out.. i don't like paying a middle man for roaches so I started my own colony..

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Just started a colony about a few weeks ago so far I have about 100 tiny Nymphs just hanging out.. i don't like paying a middle man for roaches so I started my own colony..
Keep me posted on how that goes. I would want to end up having too many.....then what do you do with them? We are getting our baby dragon likely tonight so he will definitely have some eating and growing to do.

Can you start a colony just from buying 110+? Or do you have to specifically buy a breeder group? Kinda sounds like a dumb question but I didn't know of they have to be the big ones before the start breeding

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
Not a dumb question lol you have two options you can start a feeder colony which the appropriate size for you little guy.. all you would need is a decent plastic bin some egg crates and food for gut loading... squash, Apples, carrots, feeder food and water crystals and boom!!! Your feeder bin will be thriving and well the only problem is that the Nymphs will grow bigger and bigger but it will take a few
Months until they will be mature enough to reproduce... Option 2 is a breeder bin it's requires all the same material as the feeder bin accept you will have adults at 1 to 3
Male to female ratio and you would need a heating pad... they like to be hot! Which causes them to male... citrus is say to help boost there urge to male also.. again it will take the Nymphs a while to get really big if you keep your adults 5 males and 15 females you will be fine for a while.. you can do population control either by feeding them off or removing a few and spraying them with Raid! Lol saw someone on YouTube suggest it for population control.
Keep me posted on how that goes. I would want to end up having too many.....then what do you do with them? We are getting our baby dragon likely tonight so he will definitely have some eating and growing to do.

Can you start a colony just from buying 110+? Or do you have to specifically buy a breeder group? Kinda sounds like a dumb question but I didn't know of they have to be the big ones before the start breeding

u

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Right now I have 1/4" and 1/2" roaches. So if I leave them in them in there with proper food, water crystals, and heat.....boom? They will reproduce? Are the nymphs the Older ones? I'm a vet so I should understand this but I don't work on insects! I was thinking that the size correlated with how old the roach was.

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
Right now I have 1/4" and 1/2" roaches. So if I leave them in them in there with proper food, water crystals, and heat.....boom? They will reproduce? Are the nymphs the Older ones? I'm a vet so I should understand this but I don't work on insects! I was thinking that the size correlated with how old the roach was.

Nymphs are not adults.. so you pretty much have all Nymphs.. Adults are really big.. males have a full set of wings and are fat and shiny with small wings.. the roaches you have now don't need a heating pad they're to young to reproduce all you need is proper food and they sustain.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Meet Puff! He already loves his new home! He ate 5 or 6 roaches and 2 superworms soon after getting home! He is very docile and loves being held. He's all tucked in and sleeping for the night :)
f3749d31d50ecd92019dd1a659de1fad.jpg

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
Meet Puff! He already loves his new home! He ate 5 or 6 roaches and 2 superworms soon after getting home! He is very docile and loves being held. He's all tucked in and sleeping for the night :)
f3749d31d50ecd92019dd1a659de1fad.jpg

Howdy Puff! What kind of dragon is this little guy ?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Leatherback I think.

Very cute little one with some great colors!! Looks like it isn't a leatherback though as his/her back plate isn't smooth..But wow those colors are going to be amazing to watch as it grows!!.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Once you have adult dubia it won't be long before the females are holding fertile eggs! Each female will have approx 30 nymphs..In the general care link under my comments I have written up information on Dubia colonies and the how to's..
when you have too many you can always put ad's out on Craigslist (that's how I get rid of extras) or you can cull them off by putting them in the freezer for a bit.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Very cute little one with some great colors!! Looks like it isn't a leatherback though as his/her back plate isn't smooth..But wow those colors are going to be amazing to watch as it grows!!.
Your probably right. His back isn't completely smooth. What other kinds are there? Guess I should do a bit of reaearch

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Researching the different kinds of beardie got a bit confusing for me....so I have no idea what Puff is, but we live him anyway :) He's a bit of a rascal. Puff refuses to eat nutrigrubs, superworms, or small dubias. He will only eat the big dubias we have (I think they are 1/2") he ate 1 this morning and 3 this evening. I'm assuming he is eating enough as he runs away when he doesn't want anymore. We were super excited to see him nibble on some dandelion leaves today too!