• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Awesome DIY build

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
So I got to start building our enclosure today.....4'x2'x2'. I will be documenting it here for those that are interested. We do not have our little beardie yet. We want to have the habit ready for him before we bring him home. [emoji4]
WARNING....since I work full time and have to young kids, this will be a slow process. My goal is to be done by mid August.

So, without further delay..........we went to a home improvement store today and picked up:
3/4" pine plywood 4'x8' cut to size
Screws
Black paint
Vents
Loctite adhesive

Tools needed so far: drill and jig saw

We didn't get too far because we already ran into an issue. I don't own a chop saw or table saw so I had the store cut my plywood. Problem is, my pieces aren't square which makes assembly of a box rather difficult. So I had to fix that first. Then we laid out and cut openings for our vents!

Day 1 complete. Stay tuned......
097a4a0cdaef05a9cd3ef6ae0537d188.jpg
ae6cffe98aa988f3cb032736487ee0e7.jpg
9d4fd6513b67a8b236c24ffa5ee57350.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Awesome, I love it when people get hands on and make their own stuff. I find woodwork very cathartic anyway. I would have liked to have made my own too but while I have all the tools, where I am currently living lacks the space. Will be nice to see how you progress, maybe you will inspire others

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I actually got more done today with the help of my dad and 2 kids! Finished up day 2 after work tonight. There is something peaceful about working on a project in my garage with a huge thunderstorm passing through :)

Partial assembly including installation of vents. Then painted the inside.

Next step is installing the top, making a frame for sliding glass doors, and placing tile on the floor.
3492628f5c0d68798d42e85b4a53c39b.jpg
392286ddd6a48022c0295b89c15336d1.jpg
9d7557ffe83ac098b6c77a1c02b7f2ca.jpg
6521c03f12460158947cfabf78cbaa71.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Looking good! it looks solid. What kind of paint did you opt for? I have a piece of old oak floorboard that would look great framing the front....
damnit, now I wish id built my own too! Think I need a project

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Looking good! it looks solid. What kind of paint did you opt for? I have a piece of old oak floorboard that would look great framing the front....
damnit, now I wish id built my own too! Think I need a project
Definately do the project! It's so much fun!!! I'm using just flat interior paint. The dragon won't be in it til mid August so it'll have plenty of time to air out.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Had to make another run to the hardware store today. Got some 1x2 to frame up the front and did some more painting. Also a sneak preview of the flooring......we had fun breaking tile for a mosaic floor!
cff4d23f0299d719eea11e11e124ab13.jpg
654166be779b9632d8a5902f2b6cc44b.jpg
3f7dbe9b021a2b900b61d18fd3dd7848.jpg

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
I'm super excited....I got a lot more done this weekend than I thought I would!
-finished painting
-installed tile floor
-finished assembly
-installed stalled uvb light and slides for glass doors

Lots of hard work went into this weekend, but I'm mostly done with the enclosure. Still have some interior design to do but so far I'm very happy with how it looks!

My cat Monkey thinks I made it for her....I'm going to have to keep a close eye on her.
511fa5c96e3577c6a52c723925161f32.jpg
f5636bf17ba0216d3b0cd2215979b5f3.jpg
849595df4123225d211e165f4587d3c0.jpg

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
wow, its almost done! get some glass and a couple of stick on handles and thats it! I see you got the t5, good choice. Is the left hand side going to be the hot side and the right the cool side? I have my UV going all the way across my cool side, they bask under the uv on the cool side on evenings, but most of the time they stay in the bit between the lamps where they get a good mix. I offer them basking spots ranging from 98-115C but they never bask anywhere over 100 degrees. Heres a pic of my lights, its a setup that works for me and you will need to tinker with light positioning till you find the way that works for you

Attachments

• SUNP0084.JPG
    SUNP0084.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 181

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
wow, its almost done! get some glass and a couple of stick on handles and thats it! I see you got the t5, good choice. Is the left hand side going to be the hot side and the right the cool side? I have my UV going all the way across my cool side, they bask under the uv on the cool side on evenings, but most of the time they stay in the bit between the lamps where they get a good mix. I offer them basking spots ranging from 98-115C but they never bask anywhere over 100 degrees. Heres a pic of my lights, its a setup that works for me and you will need to tinker with light positioning till you find the way that works for you
Yes! I am making some features that will get him up high enough but it'll be on both sides. Kinda like yours with a bridge along the back. Im hoping I left enough room to move my basking lamp around. ....I can also play with the height of the features to get the right temps. I ordered a IR temp gun yesterday! I plan on putting a divider in at first since I have been advised that the cage is huge for a juvenile.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry I've been MIA a bit. By the time I get rid of the spam, it's time to leave for work. Anyway, I'm not a DIY tank builder but pine is one of the woods that is toxic. I think you are still okay if you seal it real good with a special wood sealer. You may have to do some internet searches or pick the brain of a commercial tank builder to see what they use.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Sorry I've been MIA a bit. By the time I get rid of the spam, it's time to leave for work. Anyway, I'm not a DIY tank builder but pine is one of the woods that is toxic. I think you are still okay if you seal it real good with a special wood sealer. You may have to do some internet searches or pick the brain of a commercial tank builder to see what they use.
What about pine is toxic? The aroma?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The oils in pine and cedar have always been said to be toxic for animals. Toxic has a different meaning to different people though. Toxic could just mean "sensitive" or it could mean full on reaction to the material. I have a plant that is considered toxic to cats but the rare occasion my cat gets curious and eats a leaf, she just gets an upset stomach. I've read of people using plywood for tanks but because I don't make my own tanks or plan to make my own tanks, I never asked what they seal the wood with.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
The oils in pine and cedar have always been said to be toxic for animals. Toxic has a different meaning to different people though. Toxic could just mean "sensitive" or it could mean full on reaction to the material. I have a plant that is considered toxic to cats but the rare occasion my cat gets curious and eats a leaf, she just gets an upset stomach. I've read of people using plywood for tanks but because I don't make my own tanks or plan to make my own tanks, I never asked what they seal the wood with.
Gotcha. I'm actually a vet so I know the dog/cat stuff! Just wasn't sure what issues reptiles have......I painted the plywood but will research if I need a true sealer too. Paints typically seal wood.

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
Ok....so I used a water based paint on the pine so that will seal oils and phenols which from my research is what's toxic. So I should be good to go. It will also air out for the next 4 weeks before a dragon goes in :)

Dogdayz1215

Juvenile Dragon
In keeping up the searching........I think I have opted to buy a can of min wax polycrylic sealant (clear) to go over the paint. That way i don't have to worry about whether the paint was enough to seal the wood.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sounds good, I think LOL! The tank looks real nice, I love the flooring. The cat is going to be so disappointed to realize that wasn't built for her LOL!

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
How did you put the wood together? Did you screw it together? are you just use some strong bonding glue to put the wood together?