• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are vegetable grow lights safe

obbrc

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,
I'm moving to bioactive soil after reading jarich's excellent post in this forum. Following some youtube tutorials' I'm planning to add plants on one side. I already have PoverSun UV-UVB mercury vapor lamp for my dragon. For plants' benefit, I need an UV Grow Light for them. I'm thinking to buy TatoTronics. This is a 36W UV light with a mixture of blue, red and purple LEDs.

Looking at customer pictures, I noticed that such lights have strong colors, and most likely will make some part of my dragon's cage puple/red when they are turned on.

Do red/blue/purple colored grow lights have an impact on bearded dragons, such as health hazards or mood swings?

thx in advance.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,
I'm moving to bioactive soil after reading jarich's excellent post in this forum. Following some youtube tutorials' I'm planning to add plants on one side. I already have PoverSun UV-UVB mercury vapor lamp for my dragon. For plants' benefit, I need an UV Grow Light for them. I'm thinking to buy TatoTronics. This is a 36W UV light with a mixture of blue, red and purple LEDs.

Looking at customer pictures, I noticed that such lights have strong colors, and most likely will make some part of my dragon's cage puple/red when they are turned on.

Do red/blue/purple colored grow lights have an impact on bearded dragons, such as health hazards or mood swings?

thx in advance.
I will let others like @jarich chime in on the bioactive info as that's not my area of knowledge.. However colored lights of any kind are not good one their eyes as they don't allow their pupils to function correctly and can cause eye damage. And no light of any kind on at night so they can sleep in peace without their 3rd eye ontop of their head detects shadows and such.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am not sure about that. I know that the red iridescent lights during the day can hurt their eyes over time but not sure about LED lights. There is a great FB page called Bio-Active Reptiles of North America they would be able to help you out there.

Draeju's_world

Juvenile Dragon
Just use a full spectrum daylight bulb for your plants. They will do great under it and your beardie will look better and feel more comfortable with it as opposed to the grow light.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wanna see your set up and kiddo when you get it up and running, please !

edwinmoore

Bearded Dragon Egg
TBH, I'm using these kind of light since almost 4 years now. and till date, ain't faced any difficulties with it. But yeah, previously, I've had some plant burn difficulties with HPS and MH light fixtures which I've replaced with some of the best rated 1000 watt led grow lights now and till date experience is good.