• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are his ankles ok?

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I can't tell if something's wrong, or if he's just getting bigger and his extremities are just developing...I feel like an idiot asking...
ce58f6a8d2e6a2dc9dc37d8c0fa85c1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They do look a little swollen. What kind of supplements are you using? Are you giving calcium and a multivitamin? When was the last shed? Looks kinda like there is some stuck shed there but there might be something else going on.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
They do look a little swollen. What kind of supplements are you using? Are you giving calcium and a multivitamin? When was the last shed? Looks kinda like there is some stuck shed there but there might be something else going on.
His full shed finished last week. I don't think his legs are going to shed. He gets daily calcium with vitamin D3. And no multivitamin. I have 2 friends that have beardies and never give them and they told me it wasn't necessary. Could that be the problem?

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Also I wrote a post last week, but I'm thinking no one saw it? He's been very lethargic. Alert, but just laying on the floor of his viv. If this is due to lack of multis, I'm going to feel terrible. But honestly I was taking the advice of my friends. I'll grab some on my lunch break today and get it into his system asap

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would agree they look swollen for some reason does he walk on them ok? kinda looks like they got hung up on something or dropped/fell and landed on the back end possibly hurting them? you may want to have them checked by a vet.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I would agree they look swollen for some reason does he walk on them ok? kinda looks like they got hung up on something or dropped/fell and landed on the back end possibly hurting them? you may want to have them checked by a vet.

He didn't eat much today. Made him drink water and a pedialite bath. I'm concluding he fell, but honest I can't remember it happening. He's not climbing. He's just kinda scooting along the floor of his viv.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He didn't eat much today. Made him drink water and a pedialite bath. I'm concluding he fell, but honest I can't remember it happening. He's not climbing. He's just kinda scooting along the floor of his viv.

Oh poor baby...if he isn't using them I would for sure have him seen by a reptile vet that can't feel good.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Oh poor baby...if he isn't using them I would for sure have him seen by a reptile vet that can't feel good.
Thanks. I'm gonna give it a couple days. I read that there is nothing to do for soft tissue damage, they just have to heal. If I touch him he's fine, but if I squeeze the ankle he pulls away a little. If it gets worse I'll take him for sure. He's walking on my shoulders as we speak, so he's a happy dude, just sore I think. Boy, I feel like a bad mommy for not seeing him fall :(

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
One of mine tried to make a daring leap for freedom yesterday, luckily she landed on a pile of towels or who knows... I do see them performing little acrobatic stunts in their vivs as well, its suprising how high they can jump. Percy literally dives on his bug dish from his bridge ,Im amazed he hasnt damaged himself. Its like the equivalent of me jumping down from a second floor window onto a bag of M&Ms. I think it was patsy said they are seemingly fearless of hieghts as babies, that is very true.
Hope that swelling goes down quickly, fingers crossed for ya

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Any updates?? how's your little ones ankles doing??

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for asking :)
They look about the same to me. But he was walking a little today and had an appetite. So I'm hoping he's starting to feel better? I'm trying not to let him walk a lot, but you know that's easier said than done. I did read that soft tissue damage can be a slow recovery and hydration is key. Any other advice?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When was the last time he went to the bathroom?

Multivitamins are a must to give them. We have some links to great food and info on how to use vitamins, check them out if you haven't already.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
When was the last time he went to the bathroom?

Multivitamins are a must to give them. We have some links to great food and info on how to use vitamins, check them out if you haven't already.

Bowel movement yesterday morning. He's still going regularly once a day. Multis have now been incorporated.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm a little behind on posts here. I asked about the bowel movement because sometimes impaction can affect their back legs. Is he getting any better?

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Here's updated photos. It seems to be it's just his rear left leg. So I'm hopeful he's healing. I read that soft tissue damage is a slow recovery so I'm trying to be patient. He's eating a going to bathroom daily. Thanks for all the help and recommendations...oh, and I took all his climbing stuff out for the time being , so his cage looks boring right now :)
0b1bae0b636184e67db46411321cb50e.jpg
960dad89fd3918aa56bf8eac0d072dcb.jpg

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks, Patsy. His left leg is tender if I gently squeeze it, but the right doesn't seem to be. He's not very active when I bring him out, but he is walking better. Thanks again for your help and input.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here's updated photos. It seems to be it's just his rear left leg. So I'm hopeful he's healing. I read that soft tissue damage is a slow recovery so I'm trying to be patient. He's eating a going to bathroom daily. Thanks for all the help and recommendations...oh, and I took all his climbing stuff out for the time being , so his cage looks boring right now :)
0b1bae0b636184e67db46411321cb50e.jpg
960dad89fd3918aa56bf8eac0d072dcb.jpg

Looks like it could be gout, which can be fatal for dragons. Vet ASAP

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
So I came home today to swollen front ankles. I'm resigned to gout and it's breaking my heart. I'm reading many articles online and getting different opinions of what to do. Does anyone here have recommendations based on experience? Poor guy is only 6 months old and if he's going to be in pain his whole life...i just need to make the right decision. My vet is already closed. I'll call in the morning for a visit.

HerpPrincess

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I came home today to swollen front ankles. I'm resigned to gout and it's breaking my heart. I'm reading many articles online and getting different opinions of what to do. Does anyone here have recommendations based on experience? Poor guy is only 6 months old and if he's going to be in pain his whole life...i just need to make the right decision. My vet is already closed. I'll call in the morning for a visit.

A good vet will help you make the right decision. Be guided by them and ask them lots of questions before deciding.