• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another lighting post... :)

Jaxx26

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone!

I'll be getting my first bearded dragon in a week or so-- once the tank is all set up and temps appropriate. I just have a few lighting questions and would love everyone's input. I've been reading tons of conflicting information.

I ended up getting a MVB light and figured this would be enough for heat and UVA/UVB. But then I started reading some more about how the rays should extend across the entire length of the tank and not just in the basking area. How important is this? If so, since I already bought the MVB bulb, can I just get a compact or smaller tube 5.0/10.0 light for the other side? I'm also worried about too much D3 if I have both lights up and am not sure what's the best combination here.

Lastly, is it strongly recommended to also not put the MVB on mesh screen as well for full effectiveness?

I may have a couple more questions but I'll throw this out there first. :) thanks everyone!!

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
Have you had a chance to look at the sub forums here? There's alot of great info about lighting and food, etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Jaxx26

Bearded Dragon Egg
Have you had a chance to look at the sub forums here? There's alot of great info about lighting and food, etc...

Yes of course I have. Just so much conflicting information on MVB bulbs specifically. I've just decided to return the bulb and go with a tube light. Thanks

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I'll tell you I've had mine (2-10 yr old, and 6-7yr olds) as you can see for a while. Healthy, happy, etc.... there are ppl on here that say ppl should use the tube uvb. I don't, not sure what it's called but it holds 2 uvb bulbs and of course their basking bulb. In a few of my enclosures I've got the combo light (uva and uvb) I think they're a power sun, and in those enclosures I have a fixture that holds a single uvb. Mine are very healthy, but of course do what makes you comfortable. Enjoy your beardie, they're wonderful companions, love to see a pic, good luck my fellow beardie parent [emoji3]

Mom of blazey

Juvenile Dragon
I just reread your post, I'd love to see your little guy when you get him/her

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'll tell you I've had mine (2-10 yr old, and 6-7yr olds) as you can see for a while. Healthy, happy, etc.... there are ppl on here that say ppl should use the tube uvb. I don't, not sure what it's called but it holds 2 uvb bulbs and of course their basking bulb. In a few of my enclosures I've got the combo light (uva and uvb) I think they're a power sun, and in those enclosures I have a fixture that holds a single uvb. Mine are very healthy, but of course do what makes you comfortable. Enjoy your beardie, they're wonderful companions, love to see a pic, good luck my fellow beardie parent [emoji3]

It's important to note that what works for some may not work for others, giving full info is very important for people to make their own decisions on what they want to do for their beardies and that's what we try hard to do. Lighting is a very tricky thing to get right and there are many variables. The easiest way to go for most new comers is the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 mainly because it covers length of tanks, it penetrates thru the wire mesh tops, it gives off good UVB and when you combine that with a Basking bulb that overlaps the UVB so they digest and get the nutrients is perfect/easy/simple.

Pet stores often say that the coil bulbs are safe and that's what they push..the compact coil bulbs have in the past caused eye damage as the rays are focused in a small area. They say that this issue has been corrected but in many minds we ask "is it worth the risk?" There are some small tube bulbs that you can use for a Temp situation but not long term. They just don't give off enough UVB.

Mercury vapor bulbs are great bulbs they give off the heat and UVB, they are expensive and can be tricky to fine tune watts/placement. They are best used for those who are not new to beardies as there is soo much to learn and tweak in their enclosures..

So we try to go the most simple method for people to get established, figure things out, get used to their dragons and what they need first.. Then people can look into other means of lighting/UVB that can be more advanced later.

Hope that makes sense :) and gives a reason on why we say what we say.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The best thing to do is to do your research and pick what's best for you. I know people that use MVB bulbs and they have success, but I would say that most people use the tube style UVB. Coil bulbs supposedly improved over the years but the real problem with compact and coil bulbs no matter how many you use in your tank, it's not going to penetrate DEEP enough into the tank where your bearded dragon is going to be sitting. Your dragon is going to need to be 3-4 inches away from the bulb in order to get the most benefit from them.

What I learned is that the best advice is from people who have had years of experience. What works for one may not work for another but if 9 people are telling me that something worked well for them and one person tells me it didn't, I always go with the majority and see how that works for me.