• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 month old not eating crickets

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I'm new to this forum and not sure if I should be starting a new thread or continue here. I have my first beardie that's about 3 months old. He used to eat crickets and now won't touch them. Won't even take them from my hand. He will eat anything else though. He's great with fruits and veges. I bought silk worms to see if he would eat them and he devours them. I understand that they are not a high protein substitute. Can someone give me advise? Perhaps a protein substitute for crickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I started your own thread :)

They can start to get picky and refuse a certain food only to go back to it later. Silkworms are a very good feeder, high in calcium and they have an natural enzyme that is very beneficial. Variety is the key to keep them healthy and interested. I would get some small dubia, BSFL, and keep feeding the silk worms.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I started your own thread :)

They can start to get picky and refuse a certain food only to go back to it later. Silkworms are a very good feeder, high in calcium and they have an natural enzyme that is very beneficial. Variety is the key to keep them healthy and interested. I would get some small dubia, BSFL, and keep feeding the silk worms.

I read that they can get bored with their diet, but I wasn't expecting it after only having him a month! I've been told and read that silk worms are too high in fat to be a replacement and should only be given as occasional treat. But since he's willing to eat that (the stores near me dont sell Dubias) that's what he's been getting.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I've never heard silkworms as being high in fat. Super worms are somewhat high in fat as well as wax worms. Silks are expensive but actually really good. Check out this food link. Silks are listed as a daily feed item

http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

High in protein, low in fat and contain that enzyme that I was talking about. The description says that it's a natural pain reliever but it also helps makes medicines and other supplements work better.

Dragnmum

Hatchling Dragon
I've never heard silkworms as being high in fat. Super worms are somewhat high in fat as well as wax worms. Silks are expensive but actually really good. Check out this food link. Silks are listed as a daily feed item

http://greathousefarm.com/Greathouse-Reptile-Nutrition-List.pdf

High in protein, low in fat and contain that enzyme that I was talking about. The description says that it's a natural pain reliever but it also helps makes medicines and other supplements work better.

Thank you so much! I think that chart was exactly what I needed!