• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

12 month old male has gone off live food.

Kris King

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone.

I would just like to put my mind at ease by sharing my thoughts with you.
Benny, my 12 month old male has gone completely off all live food. I have tried every live food I can get my hands on yet he looks at them as if they are beneath him. He is still eating his greens so I have switched to dusting those instead of bugs. His behaviour is still the same, happy, alert, except now he has started showing signs of male dominance; head bopping, black beard, beard fluffing. All he seems interested in is getting out his viv and going mental round the room.
I suspect this may be due to him reaching sexual maturity and is on the hunt for a mate (which there is not), and all this will blow over after the mating season ends.
I would like a second opinion though as two weeks of no bugs is starting to concern me.
Set up: 4x2x2 wooden viv, brand new UVB Arcadia strip bulb, Basking temp 100-105 F, cool temp around 80 F, He is on newspaper as he poops every day (which look normal, just smaller due to lack of bug eating).

Thanking you in advance

Kris.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Maybe it's just a phase he is going through. Maybe offer him some grub pie either dusted on the salad or prepared, so that he gets some protein. My male is the opposite. His hormones are through the roof, and he will eat EVERYTHING you put in front of him. He's like a little garbage can LOL!

Oh, the mating season never ends! My boy head bobs and blackboards year round.